Operational Details of the Ph.D. Program
This website presents information on Ph. D. programme of the Institute from admission to thesis submission for continuing Ph. D. candidates. Every candidate has to follow the procedures laid down for fulfilling the requirements of Ph.D. programme of the Institute.
It explains all important aspects of the programme viz. Ph.D admission, Semester-wise Operations and Ph. D. Thesis submission.
The Institute follows semester-wise pattern and a candidate is required to register in prescribed Ph. D. courses in every semester by paying requisite amount of fees till all the requirements of the programme are completed and the thesis is submitted. The candidate is supposed to plan his/her work and is evaluated continuously by the respective supervisor/mentor. The overall operation of Ph. D. programme is governed by the Academic Regulations of the Institute and is monitored by the Departmental Research Committee of each department.
The information booklets attached here gives details about operational features of the programme, semester-wise registration pattern, requirements of various courses, pre-submission seminar and Ph. D. Thesis submission.
Various proforma and checklists have also been made available and can be downloaded and used. A calendar of various events for a typical semester is also included. All the candidates and supervisors should refer to these guidelines throughout the duration of the Ph. D. programme and adhere to the deadlines of various activities. Changes, if any, will be communicated by Academic Research (Ph. D. Programme) Division.
It is expected that this information will enable a candidate and his/her supervisor in understanding the requirements of the Ph.D. programme of the Institute.
• Students who join the PhD program may have their UGC/CSIR NET fellowship or INSPIRE fellowship/TCS fellowship/other available national fellowships.
• The institute offers a fellowship of Rs.13,200/-pm for students joining with a first degree (M. Sc) and Rs.18,200/- to Rs.20,000/-pm for higher degree (M. Tech/M. Pharm/M. Phil) holders.
• Students may also draw their stipend from position available on ongoing sponsored projects.
Incentives to Ph. D students
Based on the performance selected students may be offered a partial (upto 90%) Tution Fee waiver. All students are required to participate in teaching activities in their respective departments.
Salient Operational Features of the Programme
• Ph. D. qualifying examination is to be cleared by all the candidates.
• Teaching Practice is essential component of the programme to train the candidates in presentation skills.
• Ph. D Seminar is essential component of semester registration and is meant to take care of issues related to the topic of research.
• Topic of Research and Supervisor may be chosen from candidates’ own organizations.
• Provision of any co-supervisor, as recommended by DAC and DRC.
• Registration in Ph.D. Thesis course is permitted only after the Doctoral Counseling Committee has approved the Topic of Research and Supervisor.
• Registration is to be done in every semester by paying requisite amount of fees till the submission of thesis.
• Provision of dropping a particular semester by applying well in advance in case of any genuine reason.
• No minimum time prescribed for the programme. A student has to complete minimum 40 units of Ph.D. Thesis course to be eligible to submit the thesis, which normally takes 4 semesters after the Research Board has approved the proposal. However, mere completion of 40 units does not make someone entitled for the submission of thesis.
• Upper time limit of 10 semesters starting from the semester following passing of Ph.D. qualifying examination is usually there for submission of thesis.
• Provision exists for accelerating the programme subjected to the merit.
• Doctoral Counseling Committee for monitoring the progress of the programme and need of extension requirements, if any.
• Doctoral Advisory Committees for each candidate consisting of subject experts for academic review of the work.
• Continuous monitoring of all the candidates during the semester.
• Thesis should be written in English.
• In house review by subject experts, pre-submission seminar and title approval before submitting the final thesis.
• Viva-voce on Ph. D. Thesis is an essential component before the award of the degree.
• Fixed ‘calendar of events’ for monitoring.